The intensity of feeling that comes with lusting after someone or being infatuated with someone has made people do some foolish things in the name of love. In the Bible, there are several examples of foolish things some people did in the name of love.
Reuben slept with his father’s concubine, Bilhah in the name of love, Samson revealed the secret of his power to Delilah in the name of love, David slept with Beersheba, killed her husband and took over her in the name of love. In our present time people are still acting foolishly in the name of love.
The following are some of the foolish things people do in the name of love:
1) MAKING SOMEONE YOUR FIRST LOVE INSTEAD OF GOD: To crave for marriage without quality relationship with God makes you a big marital risk. Making God your first love is your heart insurance against heartbreak.
2) DISOBEYING GOD BECAUSE OF RELATIONSHIP: Any relationship that changes you from a believer to a backslider does not hold a bright future.
3) FIGHTING CLOSE PEOPLE BECAUSE OF RELATIONSHIP: There is no wisdom in fighting people because of your relationship. If your choice of life-partner is not accepted, prayerfully prove that you have not made a mistake.
4) STRIVING TO BUY LOVE: It is senseless to spend money lavishly on a lady or a man in order to be loved and accepted for marriage. It is foolishness to turn yourself into a slave because you want a young man to marry you. “The way you get something, will definitely be the same way you will maintain it.” When you get a relationship by spending lavishly, you’ll need to spend more in order to sustain that relationship.
5) USING PREGNANCY AS A TRAP: It is foolishness to use pregnancy as a trap to get proposal from a man or marriage approval from parents. The foundation of the marriage is already a faulty foundation.
6) HAVING MULTIPLE RELATIONSHIPS: Multiplicity of relationships results to multiplicity of confusion.
7) REMAINING IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MARRY: It is wickedness to remain a relationship with someone you know you won’t marry because of some privileges you are enjoying in that relationship.